Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Fighting a Cold comes with Inspiration for Brewing

I have recently been fighting a head cold and a pretty bad cough. When you are laying on the couch you find yourself always wanting a nice hot bowl of chicken soup or anything else to keep you comfortable and warm. Nice bold flavors that really put your mind and body at ease.
How does this fit into brewing beer? I'll tell you.

Originally I thought that my next few batches would all be Pilsner's because when I get home from work I usually like to reward myself with a beer that is easy and relaxing... That's probably why I went and brewed this recent Kolsch batch. However with the cold weather fast approaching here in New England, I thought about what I really like to enjoy; A nice scotch and a full bodied Cigar.

Nothing could bring me anywhere near this sensation that a great full bodied beer. Lately I feel like most of my brew's have been a little bit on the thin side, so to counter this I give you Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter (BVIP)

I think in a few week's I'll brew this heavenly concotion. So many people have brewed this recipe and have hailed its praises over and over, so I must brew this for the season...

Here is the Recipe:

6 Gallon Batch

Grain:
11 Lbs 2-row
2.5 Lbs Munich 20L
1.5 Lbs Brown Malt
1 Lb Crystal/Caramel 120L
.5 Lb Crystal/Caramel 40L
.5 LB Chocolate Malt 350L


Hops:
.75 Oz Magnum @ 60 Minutes
1 Oz East Kent Goldings @ 10 Minutes

Yeast:
Wyeast American Ale 1056 3L starter

Extras:
Whirfloc Tablet
Vanilla Beans (2) in Secondary Scraped and quartered
Bourbon 2 oz per gallon

Mash in at 150-152*F
Mash out at 168*F

Ferment at 64*F


No comments:

Post a Comment